Are you having problem of shopping addiction? Or maybe your mom,wife, girlfriend or even men relatives have this bad habit? Just going shopping without thinking about the financial power?Or online shopping without knowing that your finance in trouble? It could become a big mess to your money management.
According to Shopaholics Anonymous, there are several different types of shopaholics, and they are as follows:
- Compulsive shopaholics who shop when they are feeling emotional distress
- Trophy shopaholics who are always shopping for the perfect item
- Shopaholics who want the image of being a big spender and love flashy items
- Bargain seekers who purchase items they don’t need because they are on sale
- Bulimic shoppers who get caught in a vicious cycle of buying and returning
- Collectors who don’t feel complete unless they have one item in each color or every piece of a set
So let’s read this tips to stop you from continue the bad habit.
1. Be nonjudgmental.
People don’t like to disclose they feel out of control, and they feel embarrassed by the amount of debt they have.
2. Give a helping hand.
If a family member is willing to take over the checkbook or finances of a person struggling with compulsive shopping, it can help that person regain control. If that’s too much of a burden, a professional money manager can fill that role, he says.
3. Discuss gifts in advance.
Instead of splurging on pricey presents, families and friends can talk ahead of time about exchanging skills or favors such as house cleanings.
4. Consider therapy.
– Cognitive behavioral therapy that encourages people to understand their actions and the longer-term consequences can help. It can also teach people skills such as using cash instead of credit cards or not going to stores when they feel depressed or stressed.
5. Look at possible medications.
-While studies on the effects of medications on compulsive shopping haven’t reached any hard-and-fast conclusions, antidepressants or antianxiety medications are sometimes helpful. You also can go to counselor or psychiatry to solve your addiction. There’s a women that need to sell her house because the addiction. It sound funny but it happen if you can’t control it.
6. Find new activities.
-Compulsive shoppers often need to replace old habits and even friendships with new, healthier ones. Possible shopping alternatives can include sports, book clubs or cooking. It is better to find activities that could generate money than throw it. Nowadays there’s many activity can be done to generate income. Don’t waste your time going to shopping.
7. Stay Away
– You need to stay away either from shops. This means online shops as well. Online shopping is more problem because you can be even more addictive. There’s many shopping addiction don’t know what to do their goods after arrive.
It just a big waste not only money wasting but also space wasting. So, you need to stay away from this routine. Keep away from it. Don’t go to shop regularly. And avoid open internet without any urgent tasks.
8. Start writing things down.
– Another eye-opening way to get a grip is to keep a daily log of what you spend along with the feelings associated with the purchases. It’s also wise to write down your financial goals so you stay focused on what’s important.
Reference :- MOney MSN
That’s some tips for us to escape from a shopping addiction. Hopefully it will help you/